Alexander Armstrong has announced details of his third solo and first Christmas album, In A Winter Light.
Christmas music is so important to us, it’s such a central part of how we embrace the festive season, I kind of need Christmas music – you don’t just listen to it, you kind of live through it and build your Christmases on it.
What do you think Christmas would be like without any music? I mean I daresay you could possibly still find some joy in an old mince pie or something, but just imagine if you took away all the music. There’d be no carols, no Bing, no more boys of the NYPD choir, no more “it’s Chriiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaas”, now that really would be a bleak midwinter. The truth is we haven’t got time to hang about in December so we use our favourite Christmas music to take us straight to where we want to be: right at the happy heart of every Christmas we’ve loved.
The track listing of the album, to be released on 24th November, is:
1. Angels in a Winter Light (Prologue - instrumental)
2. White Winter Hymnal
3. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)
4. This Glorious Morrow (feat. The Choir of New College, Oxford)
5. Let it Snow (feat. trebles of The Choir of New College, Oxford)
6. I Still Believe in Christmas
7. O Holy Night (feat. trebles of The Choir of New College, Oxford)
8. Little Girl Blue (feat. Jools Holland)
9. Girl in the Dark (instrumental interlude)
10. Silent Night (feat. The Squadronaires)
11. There is no Rose
12. Winter Wonderland (feat. The Squadronaires)
13. In the Bleak Midwinter
14. Bethlehem Down
15. A Spotless Rose (feat. The Choir of New College, Oxford)
16. Angels in a Winter Light (Epilogue - instrumental)
Having spent years performing in choirs, Xander’s beloved musical heritage is on full, glorious display on In A Winter Light, recorded with the City of Prague Orchestra, abetted by the Choir of New College, Oxford, the RAF Squadronaires big band and Jools Holland. It can be pre-ordered from all usual sources.