Sunday 1 May 2016

Guardian BAFTA 2016 interview with Alexander Armstrong

The BAFTA television awards are on Sunday 8th May, and Sound of Music Live is nominated in the Live Event category.


The Guardian has published a lovely article, with photographic portraits of a selection of nominees, and short interviews about their favourite television.


I'll copy and paste Xander's interview, but I really do recommend you read the whole article. It's very good.
Despite an illustrious career in drama and comedy, Alexander Armstrong is not ashamed to admit it’s his role as the co-host of Pointless that has finally brought him to the attention of Buckingham Palace. “Richard [Osman] has a friend who recently told us that every day at 5.15pm, in the Queen’s private suite, you can hear the music to Pointless,” he grins.
Not bad when you consider that his foray into presenting was a “total accident. A producer I knew was adamant I try it,” he remembers, “but the thought of sitting in that seat scared me more than anything. I had a paranoid fear of being myself on camera.” Clearly he hasn’t looked back.
“Pointless is a joy, and I think the joy for the viewers is that I’m not very good at it,” he laughs. “I can only fathom that Richard and me being so clearly inept is a reason why people watch.”
Favourite comedy: I thought both series of The Wrong Mans were exceptional – well-executed and great fun – but I can watch South Park any day of the week.
TV crush: Tom Hollander – he’s never turned in a duff role. Watching him in Doctor Thorne and The Night Manager was sheer heaven.
Reality TV show you’d appear on: Grand Designs, for which I’d build something disgustingly old-fashioned that Kevin definitely wouldn’t approve of.
Fantasy TV job: Anything with an accent is always fun. Yes. I think I’d quite like to play somebody with a thick Scottish accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment